Accordion/Bandoneón/Vibrandoneon, Piano/Keyboards, Violin, Bass, Drums, Saxophone/Clarinet, Singer
– Traditional Tangos performed in the style of diSarli, Canaro, Salgan, Pugliese etc.
– Tango Nuevo performed in the style of Piazzolla, Galliano, Fiorrio, as well as their own compositions.
– Stanislav Angelov and Charles Lazar’s orginal compositions mix traditional Tango with South African flavour and Jazz. Angelov’s Tango compositions and arrangements are often used for film and Television productions in South Africa and overseas.
– The Ensemble also performs for theatre productions with professional Tango dancers and actors throughout South Africa and Namibia
In May 2003 they released their first CD “El Tango en Africa” (Tango in Africa) where they explored the fusion between African Rhythms and sounds with the “Tango Nuevo” style. This album has been locally and internationally acclaimed receiving a great deal of air time worldwide up to today.
CTTE repertoire consists of original scores of Astor Piazzolla for his Quinteto, which often leads to including James Grace on Guitar (another well-known Musician in Cape Town) and scores of Horacio Salgan, Angelo Burli, Julian Plaza, Roberto Pansera as well as their own arrangements of Music by Piazzolla, Gardel, Troilo, Greco, Villoldo and others. And lately part of their repertoire are their own compositions by Stanislav, Charles and recently by Albert.
CTTE have worked with the Tango Singers Adriana Edwards, Juan Simon & Ariel Roldan.
The Cape Town Tango Ensemble’s television and radio appearances include:
– October 2000 – interview with “DSTV”
– 2001 – E-TV’s “Back Stage” series, where the Cape Town Tango Ensemble accompanied the Tango dance salon scene
– 2003 – coverage of their CD Launch by the program “Heita” on E-TV.
– 2003 – broadcast on Namibian National TV of their concert recorded live at the Bank of Windhoek Arts Festival
– “El Tango en Africa” is often played on Fine Music Radio, Classic FM, RSG and other South African Radio-Stations
– October/November 2003 – their CD “El Tango en Africa” played on Buenos Aires Tango Radio Station
– July 2004 – “El Tango en Africa” played on BBC Radio World Service
– 2006-7 – “El Tango en Africa” played on BTV and Bulgarian National Radio
– 2007 – “El Tango en Africa” used in the German film “The time of the Snake”
– and many more Radio Stations around the World…
The Cape Town Tango Ensemble concert performances include venues like Arts Cape theatre, Baxter theatre, High Street Theatre, DeWetshof wine estate-Robertson, Lindbergh Arts Foundation – Muizenberg, Worchester Music Society, Groot Constantia wine estate, Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden, CTICC, Oude Libertas Amphitheatre – Stellenbosch, AGFA Amphitheatre – V&A Waterfront, Cape Town Festival, KKNK, National Arts Festival Grahams town, Bank of Windhoek Arts Festival and many more.
Cape Town Tango Ensemble has collaborated in the production of:
2001 “Tango del Fuego” – directed by Martinus Bassoon & Choreographed by Mark Hoeben, presented at all major festivals in South Africa.
2003 Tango show with Mark Hoeben & Ina Wichterich for Bank of Windhoek Arts Festival
2004 “Tango Expirience” directed by Mark Hoeben for Bank of Windhoek Arts Festival
2004 short film “The first and last loves of Leonardo Lopes” directed by Chris Rodrigues and some of the Music composed by Stanislav Anguelov
2004 “El Beso” directed by Heinrich Reisenhofer & Choreographed by Mareli Schröter – sold out run at Little Theatre – Cape Town
2006 “All about Tango” – directed and choreographed by Mark Hoeben & Ina Wichterich presented at KKNK
2007 – Tango item at “Fleur du Cap” Theatre Awards with Mark Hoeben & Ina Wichterich
2007 – provided the Music for a scene in the German film “The time of the Snake”
CTTE and their CD “El Tango en Africa”
International 4 star rating for “El Tango en Africa”
“Featuring a genre of tango, the Cape Town Tango Ensemble shows a potent, full bodied and competent performance. A great variety of tango composers are presented on this recording: Piazzolla, Galliano, Malando, Fiorio, Gardel and others, which offers a variety within the genre and makes it really interesting. Stanislav does a professional job on the accordion as does the Ensemble as a whole…”
Read more on: www.accordions.com
Comments about “El Tango en Africa” by Ricardo Fiorio (composer of track 7 on the CD)
“I think it is an exceptional work in several aspects. To begin with, it is exceptional to listen to tango coming from Africa, but it is as well exceptional the artistic level of those who had accomplished this, whose sincere effort, perseverance and loveone can feel throughout the production. I truly consider admirable the interpretations of Oblivion and also Chiquilin, so emotionally sung, and the virtuous and genuine interpretation of the genius Astor’s Primavera Porteňa. I reserved the final comments for the marvelous version you did of my “A Borges”. What can I say! Thanks, Thank you so, so much! I felt touched deep inside while listening to you. You’ve reached a warmth and depth that I could find in those notes!…”
CD of the month – August 2003 SAWUBONA (SAA in flight Magazine)
“A must-have for Tango lovers and performers, even if you ever only do it in your own lounge. The Cape Town Tango Ensemble specializes in Argentinean Tango from the old-fashioned classical Tango style to the Tango Nuevo…”
Read more in SAWUBONA August 2003
30 March 2011 – Premier of new South African Film “Visa Vie” in which 2 tracks from “Tango Club” are included in the sound track of the film – “Adios” & “Cape Town Tango”, both composed by Stanislav Angelov.
13 April 2011 – “Tango Club” nominated for Best Instrumental Album for 2010 in the 17th MTN South African Music Awards.
During May – June they embarked on their first tour of Gauteng, performing at venues such as Brooklyn Theater in Pretoria, University of Johannesburg, Montecasino and others.
On 30 September they were invited to present a concert at the prestigious Gewandhaus in Leipzig, sharing the stage with local orchestra The Rockin’ Accordions. This was the reason for organizing a short tour of Germany, where they performed for concerts and Milongas in Leipzig, Berlin & Tübingen.
El Tango en Africa – 2003
Tango Club – 2010