Amazwi Omzansi Africa National Opera Singing Competition 2013 – Cape Town Auditions December 2012
Download the Competition Booklet, Rules and repertoire list below, or view the section below.
NATIONAL OPERA SINGING COMPETITION 1213 – Booklet
As part of improving the quality of the lives young talented singers in South Africa, especially those from previously disadvantaged communities, Amazwi Omzansi Africa Performing Arts International Festival, in collaboration with Opera Les Azuriales International Festival, presents a National Singing Competition and master-class workshops led by the South African born international opera star, Sally Burgess. The competition is open to everyone regardless of and/or training. Singers with interest and passion for singing and within the age bracket for the competition are encouraged
to enter. Auditions will be held in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein, Swaziland culminating in a public final and master-class workshops held in Durban.
The competition and workshops will offer a small number of highly talented singers chosen from across the country a platform from which they can showcase their talents and grow from the workshop experience. An opportunity to be looked after for a period ensuring progress in terms of their career development. The competition will also aim to engage, stimulate and provide entertainment for our communities by producing a high quality gala performance at the end of the competition and workshop period.
Singers wishing to be considered for the competition should meet the following requirements:
1. The application deadline is 30 September 2012 (complete applications must be received by this date). Early application is advised to give competitors enough time to learn and memorize all prescribed music.
2. A non-refundable application fee of R80.00 is payable into the following bank account:
Bank: First National Bank (FNB)
Account Type: Business Cheque Account
Name of account: Perfect Blend Productions
Account number: 62332513242
Branch code: 210717
NB. Please use your ID number as a reference that we can track your fee.
3. Applicants should complete and submit an application form. This should preferably be done online at the competition website (www.performingartsfestivalsa.com). Alternatively, applicants can fill in an application form attached at the end by hand and post it to us.
Alternatively applicants can fax their application forms to us along with proof of payment a n d a c l e a r c o p y o f ID t o 0 8 6 5 1 2 6 5 3 5 , a n d / o r u s e o u r ema i l firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please take note: Even if you submit your application online, you must still send the copy of your ID and your proof of payment, either by fax or by email.
Age limits: There are TWO (2) age categories in the competition:
Category 1: 18 to 26 years
Category 2: 27 to 35 years
Singers must be at least 18 years old at the date of their auditions, and no older than 35 years on 31 January 2013. In the case of an applicant turning 27 before the end of the competition, the age at the time of the AUDITION will be taken into account. All candidates should have a contactable singing and/or music teacher. In the case of those coming from choirs, a contactable choir conductor who will help prepare the candidate for the competition.
First-round auditions will be held in the following cities on the dates stipulated. Information about venues and times will be published in due course.
12 & 13 December – Johannesburg
14 December – Port Elizabeth & Grahamstown
15 December – East London
16 & 17 December – Bloemfontein
18 & 19 December – Cape Town
20 & 21 December – Durban
22 & 23 December – Ezulwini Valley – Swaziland
Prizes consist of a cash award and an opportunity to engage in an intensive week-long
workshop after the competition. Singers who proceed to the Final and Workshop stage
will receive complimentary travel and accommodation for the duration of their stay in
Total Competition Prize Money – R31 000
Category 1 (18 – 26 Years) Category 2 (27 – 35 Years)
1st Prize – R5000 1st Prize – R10 000
2nd Prize – R3000 2nd Prize – R 5000
3rd Prize – R2000 3rd Prize – R 3000
4th Prize – R1000 4th Prize – R 2000
Singers are to prepare four pieces from the repertoire list below. All singers will need to choose two to perform at the audition and have all four ready for the final in January. The panel will only hear two pieces at the first-round auditions. The audition will last no more than 10 minutes.
The final will be held in Durban over two days, 12 & 13 January 2013. Feedback and the two week long workshop for all the finalists will begin on the 14th January and ending with an Opera Gala involving all finalists on the 26th January 2013.
Audition and Final round repertoire is set as follows:
1. Giunse alfin il momento… Deh vieni non tardar
or E Susanna non vien… Dove sono from The Marriage of Figaro – Mozart
or Temerari, fouri di questo loco… Come scolio from Cosi Fan Tutte – Mozart
2. “Laudamus te” from C Minor Mass – Mozart or Hear me Israel from Elijah –
3. Im Abendrot – Schubert
4. Il bacio – Luigi Arditi or Meine Lippen sie Kussen – Franz Lehar
1. “E amore un ladroncello” from Cosi Fan Tutte – Mozart
2. “O rest in the Lord” from Elijah – Mendelssohn
3. Die forelle – Schubert
4. Granada – Agustin Lara
1. “Dalla sua pace” from Don Giovanni – Mozart
2. “Comfort ye…Every valley” from Messiah – Handel
3. Ständchen – Schubert
4. Dein is mein Ganzes Herz – Franz Lehar
1. “Non più andrai” from The Marriage of Figaro – Mozart
2. “Lord God of Abraham” from Elijah – Mendelssohn
3. Wandrers Nachtlied – Schubert
4. Plaisir d’amour – Jean Paul Martini
1. “La vendetta” from The Marriage of Figaro – Mozart
2. “Und Gott sprach …Rollend in schäumenden Wellen” from The Creation – Haydn
3. Der Tod und das Madtchen – Schubert
4. Ol’ man River – Jerome Kern
Please take careful note of the following:
• Oratorio, and opera arias should be sung in the original key and all pieces must be performed in their original language unless when otherwise advised. Please feel free to email us to ask if you are not sure.
• ‘Da capo’ arias should be performed in their entirety.
• Prize money cannot be shared with other candidates, teachers, choirs or any other parties.
• Prize money must only be used towards the prizewinner’s development through singing lessons, coaching, music lessons and/or travel to auditions and other competitions.
• We reserve the right to withhold any prize should the standard of participants not be to the sufficient level.
• All music must be memorised by the time of the first-round auditions and of course for the final round. Failure to have all music memorised and prepared to a high level will lead to candidates being disqualified.
Should you be in Swaziland and wish to apply to the competition please contact us on the following contact details so we can send you an application form:
Contact persons: PHILANI MPANZA
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Cell Number: [+268] 76156997
* Amazwi Omzansi Africa Performing Arts International Festival is proud and grateful for partners Opera Les Azuriales Festival for their help and support during this first year of the competition.
Personal Contact Information
Surname: ________________________ First Name(s): _______________________
Date of Birth: ____________________ Phone Number: _______________________
ID or Passport Number: _____________________ Email address:
Physical address: _____________________________________________________
Postal address (if different from above): ___________________________________
Teacher and Institution Contact Information
Full name of Singing Teacher / Choir Conductor or the coach helping prepare the
Phone Number: ___________________Email address: _______________________
Name of Institution or Choir: _____________________________________________
Phone Number: ____________________Email address: ______________________
Competition Entry Details
Audition city (please circle the appropriate answer):
1. Johannesburg 2. Port Elizabeth & Grahamstown 3. East London
4.Bloemfontein 5. Cape Town 6. Durban 7. Ezulwini Valley (Swaziland)
Voice (please circle the appropriate answer) : Soprano Mezzo-soprano Tenor Baritone Bass
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.